I’m a scientist/policy/regulation person by profession, with a B.S. in Geosciences, additional training in Animal Sciences, and a Masters degree in education focusing on science and the public.
Interests: Paranormal, cryptozoology and Fortean phenomena, anomalous natural phenomena of all kinds; science education, zoology, wildlife, paleontology, natural hazards, environmental studies and public policy.
My research focus is the idea of “sham inquiry” or passing off activities that look like science but really aren’t, what I called “being scientifical”. This pretend science happens in many subject areas from ghost hunting to environmental activism. I’ve published a thesis about amateur paranormal investigation groups and am currently writing a book on this subject.
Hill, S. A. (2010) “Being Scientifical: Popularity, Purpose and Promotion of Amateur Research and Investigation Groups in the U.S.” [Thesis] Master of Education – Science and the Public, State University of New York at Buffalo.
- Writer of Sounds Sciencey column
- Contributor to Skeptical Briefs, Skeptical Inquirer, Fortean Times, Huffington Post
- Volunteer for The Amaz!ng Meeting (TAM), Junior Achievement, CSICOP’s Young Skeptics/Inquiring Minds, Darwin Day
- Patron of Dauphin County Library System, Castaway Critters, TetZoo, Captain Disillusion
- Past officer of the Society of Women Environmental Professionals (SWEP) – Capital Chapter
- Board member of the National Capital Area Skeptics (NCAS)
- Founder of the Keystone Society for Rational Inquiry (KSRI) and the Anomalies Research Society (ARS)
- Editor of Modern Cryptozoology
- Wikipedia page
For more, see my Bio page.
Available for speaking engagements, workshops, interviews and appearances, scientific consulting, commission writing and training programs.
Contact me at email@example.com
User name: “I Doubt It” or “IDoubtIt00” at various forums and comment sections.
Bio for programs: Sharon Hill, P.G., EdM, is a geologist with a specialty in science and society and public outreach for science. She is the creator and editor of the unique critical thinking blog DoubtfulNews.com that casts an informed and skeptical eye on questionable topics that appear in the media such as the paranormal, alternative medicine claims, pseudoscience, and anomalies. She researches and writes about the paranormal, monsters and natural phenomena for various blogs and publications including Skeptical Inquirer and Fortean Times. As a Scientific and Technical Consultant for Center for Inquiry, she authored a monthly column called “Sounds Sciencey” that calls out fake and pretend science and sham inquiry. As owner of Lithospherica, LLC, she advocates for critical thinking, providing consults, training, and presentations for paranormal investigation groups, writers, journalists, and businesses.