New words have been added to the Oxford English dictionary, the “definitive record of the English language”, including a few near and dear to me…
- bookaholic: Yes, I am a minor sufferer.
- Coney dog*: I very much enjoy these and have since I was a kid.
- demonizing: This word is getting around, overused, just like “evil”.
- do-over: I like this word, employ it often.
- ethnozoology*: A technical term for the actual scientific part of cryptozoology. [Definition given as "The traditional knowledge and customs of a people concerning animals; the scientific study or description of this."]
- sciency*: This is one of my words, obviously. But they spelled it wrong. Sounds Sciencey [Definition given as "Of a somewhat scientific or technical nature; (also) having an interest in or aptitude for science."] The “somewhat” is important.
- scientifical method*: I wish I knew what they meant by this versus the scientific method! [Definition given is as an older use meaning "scientific method"] *pffth*
- scientificality*: Ditto. [Definition given is: 1. A scientific or technical issue, term, or detail. 2. The property or quality of being scientific.] For the 2nd def – I used the word “scientificity” but that’s not been recognized.
- scientificness*: Ditto. [The quality of being scientific.] Ok, boring.
- Scientological*: This was capitalized so I am REALLY curious. [Yep, having to do with Scientology.]
- sword and sorcery: Cool!
- wackadoo*: Citation needed. [Definition given as: A. Crazy, mad; eccentric. B. An eccentric or mentally unbalanced person; a crank, a lunatic.]
- wackadoodle*: Love this word. On my list of favorites. [Definition given as the same as wackadoo although this does sound like a crazy poodle.]
As you can figure, the access to OED is paid and I don’t have a subscription which sucks. Can you help me out if you do and post the meanings to the 9 starrred words? I’d appreciate it. I want to be all definitive, you know. Thanks to those that sent the explanations to me!
Scientific people use words and their meaning properly. Scientifical people do not. I don’t want to just look sciencey, I want to get it correct.
You can also email paskeptic(at)gmail.com. Thanks.